Explore Student Opportunities
Advanced Analytics Development Program (AADP)
Do you want to help shape the future of analytics at John Hancock? With our full-time 24-month program in data science and data engineering for graduates, you’ll get world-class experience in multi-dimensional, complex analytic initiatives at a global financial organization. Also, by splitting your time with us across two or three assignments, you will maximize your opportunity to acquire technical knowledge, understand business problems and make a real impact. Your first rotation will be at one of Manulife’s Divisional headquarters in Boston, Toronto, Waterloo or Hong Kong; your second and third rotation could be at any one of our operations in the United States, Canada or Asia.?
Ready to apply?
The AADP may be a good fit if you possess the following qualifications:
- BS / MS / PhD in Math or Stats / Business / Computer Science Degree
- Prior internship / co-op experience in Financial Services, Product Management, Operations, Asset Management, Risk Management, or Mergers & Acquisitions
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to effectively influence
- Driven to make an impact in a global organization
- Desire to be part of a growing advanced analytics function
- Strong academic performance
Finance and Accounting Co-op
Our long standing Co-op program provides students with an opportunity to experience full time professional work in a dynamic and challenging environment, directly related to their majors. This program enables students to gain meaningful life experience, while earning their degree.
Through these partnerships John Hancock provides students with unique opportunities to gain outstanding business exposure, work with dedicated managers committed to enriching the students' experience and develop real business skills. In return, our managers gain the enthusiasm and energy of working with a talented group of young professionals eager to contribute their ideas and hard work.
Co-op Programs generally run from 4-6 months, depending upon business need and a students' academic schedule and curriculum. Opportunities span all areas of our organization including: Finance, Investments, IT, Actuarial, Human Resources, Operations, Marketing, Communications and Sales.
What are we looking for?
We are looking for candidates that possess:
- Strong university background with demonstrated success in relevant coursework
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely
- Strong problem solving skills, with the ability to be an innovative thinker and understand the "big picture"
- High energy, results oriented self-starter with the ability to achieve in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated leadership skills
John Hancock's Accounting Internship program offers substantial on-the-job training and experience working directly in the U.S Division Finance organization with the opportunity to work in various key areas, including our Accounting and Financial Reporting teams, Management Reporting or Tax. Students are exposed to John Hancock employees of all levels, presenting the opportunity to network across multiple business lines and develop beneficial relationships. We also offer invitations to exclusive executive lunch and learns and other student programming throughout the summer, including a group presentation. The Internship program could also provide candidates with the opportunity to be provided a full time job as part of the John Hancock CPA development program.
“Individuals participating in the Internship program are provided real day-to-day assignments in accounting, financial reporting, management reporting and tax. These opportunities are all focused on creating an environment geared towards learning and developing and investing in the future of U.S. Division Finance organization. In addition, the company facilitates networking opportunities for participants to make professional connections with employees and other students with similar interests and goals.”
– Jeff Nataupsky, VP, Legal Entity Financial Reporting & Controls.
CPA Development Program
John Hancock's Certified Public Accounting (CPA) Development Program (the “Program”) provides exciting opportunities for new university graduates with an interest in attaining the CPA designation. Accountants, in particular Certified Public Accountants (“CPA”), play a vital role at John Hancock. The CPA Development Program provides the background and assistance needed to become a productive member of the Company’s financial staff. The CPA Development Program is a long-term investment in the future of finance talent at John Hancock.
A three-year rotational program which includes an 18-month rotation in both Internal Audit and US Finance.
- While in Internal Audit, participants will have the opportunity to work on the assessment of financial and operational controls and risks and work on assurance and report writing skills.
- While in US Finance, participants will have the opportunity to assist IFRS, USGAAP and NAIC external and internal reporting, participate in the quarterly close process, research and assist with the implementation of new accounting pronouncements, monitor financial results through analysis and assist in the preparation of quarterly tax provision and annual tax returns.
The Program is designed to allow participants to complete the competencies and audit hour requirements established by the Massachusetts Public Board of Accountancy in order to receive their Certified Public Accounting certification.
Participants will be directly supervised by a CPA from both Audit Services and US Controllers during their respective rotations. The supervisor will be responsible for providing timely feedback as well as preparing overall performance evaluations. Additionally, each participant will be provided a mentor that will provide oversight to ensure the participants are receiving a broad range of opportunities and exposure to various topics and individuals.
Program training will commence with the Company's internal audit training program for new employees.?
Internal training courses / third party sessions:
- Internal Audit - "Audit 101 Class"
- Book Seminars
- Lunch 'n' Learns
- Finance Education Programs
- External training courses
- SEC Institute and Big 4 Webinars
What are we looking for?
- Committed to attaining a CPA certification in a global financial services organization
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Detail-oriented, well-organized, with excellent analytical skills
- Self-starter and team player with a high level of initiative, strong work ethic and the ability to gather, synthesize, organize and report information
- Ability to multi-task and manage priorities in a demanding and deadline-oriented environment
- Highly motivated
- Excels academically preferably with an Accounting or Finance related degree
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft Office applications
“CPAs play a vital role at John Hancock. Individuals are able to build a long-term career with an emphasis on developing technical and operational knowledge. This includes core financial management competencies, influence management, exposure to operational finance areas and a deeper understanding of the organization”
– Jeff, Hiring Manager for the CPA Development Program
Ready to apply?
Recruiting for our CPA Development Program takes place in the fall. John Hancock visits many campuses throughout the Northeast and encourages candidates from all geographies to apply. All formal applications should be submitted via our career site. For instant notification of available opportunities, please?create a profile?and sign up for career alerts.
Job Type: Graduate Job
Keyword: CPA or Accountant
New Graduate Actuarial Development Program (ADP)
John Hancock/Manulife's Actuarial Development Program is an important source of future business and technical leaders for the company. ?Actuarial Development Program members have the opportunity to rotate every second year through a variety of roles that provide exposure to key actuarial disciplines such as pricing, valuation, financial modeling, marketing, risk management, asset liability management and corporate actuarial oversight. ?Members of the program are given support and opportunities to develop technical expertise, business integrity, a wide breadth of knowledge and superior communication and leadership skills.?
We support ADP members financially as they complete the exams administered by the?Society of Actuaries.
We also offer mentorship and study support through our program committees and vast network of supportive John Hancock/Manulife leaders.
Actuarial Co-op Program
John Hancock offers 6-month (Jan-June and July–Dec) as well as 4-month (Sept–Dec and Jan–April) co-op terms for current students. Participants make valuable contributions to the development of our products and services. We hire students with an actuarial (or related-field) focus for work terms in valuation, pricing, model vetting, audit and more. These positions can also be a pipeline into the Actuarial Development Program.
Actuarial internship program
John Hancock offers a 12-week actuarial summer internship for current students. Participants make valuable contributions to the development of our products and services. We hire students with an actuarial (or related-field) focus for work terms in valuation, pricing, model vetting, audit and more. Students work on challenging projects including a summer long, group project with other interns. Summer housing is provided in the Back Bay neighborhood of Boston for students in this program. These positions can also be a pipeline into the Actuarial Development Program.
Ready to apply?
Recruitment for the New Graduate Actuarial Development Program (ADP)?takes place in the fall for students graduating in the up-coming year.
Recruitment for the Actuarial Co-op Program?takes place roughly 4 months prior to the start of each term.?
Recruitment for the Actuarial internship program?takes place in the fall for the upcoming summer.
Business Analysis Development Program (BADP)?
The purpose of this program at John Hancock is to develop a cadre of exceptional business analysts who will bring a high level of skill, energy, and understanding of the business to the Business Units and Functional areas for which they will ultimately work.?
A BADP participant serves as a liaison between various stakeholders in order to define needs and recommend solutions that deliver value to organization. Some other key accountabilities include:
- Provide support for business and systems projects working independently on small projects and supporting larger projects meeting time and quality targets.
- Assist with analysis and definition of user requirements within well-defined parameters; including the collection and documentation of business requirements.
- Provide support to business areas, investigating operational related problems/inquiries, and recommending and implementing solutions.
- Establish User Acceptance test plans and expected results, conduct acceptance testing, identify issues and recommend solutions.
- Develop new procedure documentation in support of new process, products or system enhancements.
- Provide post implementation support for all approved deliverables.
The BADP is a three-year rotational program comprised of several key components such as rotations, mentoring, training, and community.
Rotations between Business Units, Functional areas and Divisions will provide BADP participants with a breadth of experience. This will allow the participant to gain exposure to a variety of products and services offered by the company while strengthening their experience in the BA function. Each rotation will last twelve months and participants will go through three rotations during the program. ?Upon completion of the third rotation, participants will be placed in a permanent Business Analysis position within the company.
The BADP mentor component will help program participants assimilate into the Company and into the BA community. Participants are assigned a peer and a professional mentor to help guide them throughout the rotations and to assist them in the adjustment of working at John Hancock. The peer mentor is a current participant of the BADP who has had at least one year of experience in the program. The professional mentor is a high-performing leader in the organization who has extensive knowledge of BA practices. ?Mentors will provide participants with exposure to other areas of the Company and an opportunity to develop and diversify their skills and knowledge.
BADP participants will receive a combination of formal, classroom training as well as on-the-job training. The classroom training will provide the understanding of the core BA methodologies, practices and concepts. Hands-on practical skill building occurs throughout each rotation as analysts are exposed to BU specific systems and various business areas. ? At the start of the program, the new participant class is assigned a project designed to further the impact of the BADP in the company and provide on-the-job training. This project gives participants a chance to practice their new BA skills in a meaningful way.?
Participants will also become members of the BADP community, which provides a place for new hires to interact with current and previous participants. ?BADP community activities include social outings, volunteer opportunities and networking with other New Grad programs.
Ready to apply?
Eligibility for the program
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Basic knowledge of business Operations and IT concepts
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal and team building skills
- Flexible and adaptable to manage multiple priorities, assignments and tasks; able to adapt to changing conditions and work assignments
- Good analytical skills with the ability to define and solve problems?
- Strong planning and organization abilities
Software Engineering Development Program (SEDP)
The purpose of this program at John Hancock is to develop a cadre of exceptional coders who will bring a high level of skill, energy, and understanding of the business to the Business Units and Functional areas for which they will ultimately work.
An SEDP participant should be passionate about software engineering and will have the opportunity to learn & apply the following:
- Write code in a variety of frameworks and languages such as .NET, Java and emerging technologies for API, microservice and program development
- Exposure to application design and architectural patterns
- Exposure to coding best practices including Test Driven Development and Pair Programming methods
- Exposure and engagement with seasoned Technical Leads, Engineers, Designers, Data Modelers, and Architects
- Transform requirements and user stories into deliverables
- Deliver solutions that will enhance customer experience (CX) and provide real business value
- Exposure and practical application of Agile and DevOps methodologies & tools
The SEDP is a three-year rotational program comprised of several key components:
Rotations between business unit functional areas will provide SEDP participants with exposure to a variety of products and services offered by the company while strengthening their experience in software engineering.??Each rotation will last twelve months and participants will go through 3 rotations during the program.??The types of rotations will vary but a participant may expect assignments to include?Software development for new business applications,?systems integrations involving Cloud, Mobile, and vendor products and?application enablement for DevOps?.??
The SEDP mentor component will help program participants assimilate into the Company and into the coding community while developing and diversifying their skills and knowledge.??SEDP mentorship is threefold:?Tech Lead mentors assigned by the Tech Lead managers,?Professional mentor assigned by SEDP program and a?Peer mentor.?
SEDP participants will receive a combination of formal classroom training, access to our technical training website, and on-the-job training.?The classroom training will provide the understanding of the core technical methodologies, practices and concepts. Hands-on practical skill building occurs throughout each rotation as SEDPs are exposed to specific systems and various business areas.
Participants will also become members of the SEDP community, which provides a place for new hires to interact with current participants. SEDP community activities include social outings, volunteer opportunities, and networking with other New Grad programs.
Ready to Apply?
Eligibility for the program:
- Bachelor’s Degree obtained in recent timeframe
- Good analytical skills with the ability to define and solve problems using technology
- Strong desire to become a professional software engineer/coder
- High academic achievement
- BSCS, BSSE, BSCE, BSCIS or quantitative major if accompanied by significant coding experience
New graduate Investment Division Rotational Program (IDRP)
Do you have a passion for financial services and markets? This rotational program supports recent university business grads committed to getting a?CFA?designation. You’ll build technical knowledge and understand the asset origination and asset management businesses in the context of a large global financial services firm. Six-month rotations give you valuable experience in:
- Portfolio management
- Investment analysis
- Marketing and client services
- Support functions and back office
Mutual Funds Operations Summer Internship Program
John Hancock provides opportunities for exceptional students who are interested in exploring the Mutual Fund business. We offer a unique opportunity to learn hands on and explore the possibilities of a career at John Hancock through our Mutual Funds Operations Summer Internship Program. This 11-week program offers summer employment in the Boston, MA and Portsmouth, NH locations for students wishing to gain insight and valuable experience with some of the top professionals in the mutual fund business.
Mutual Funds Operations Interns receive real assignments to grow their skills while completing meaningful work. Internship placements in Boston are with various teams within Fund Administration, Marketing, Corporate Finance, Sales, Sales Support and Investments or in Portsmouth within the Transfer Agency, Shared Services and Enterprise Operations. Students are provided opportunities to network and increase public speaking and executive presence skills. A special project will be assigned to each student, which is meant to leave a legacy on the team he/she interned with. Students will be asked to present to a wide audience on their project at the end of the program. Students will also participate in a mini-rotation to gain exposure to other functional areas and a Business Case Competition.
“Insight and experience comes from meaningful work assignments and by forming relationships with seasoned mutual fund professionals. We formally identify a mentor for each of our interns to support them through the experience. The mentor serves as a coach, providing invaluable advice, counsel and guidance. ”
– Desmond and David, Hiring Managers for the Mutual Funds Operations Summer Internship Program
Working in close partnership with the Boston Globe, Boston University, Partners HealthCare, The Ad Club, and the City of Boston, John Hancock's MLK Scholars program addresses what is deemed a critical need in Boston - summer jobs for city youth. Each summer, John Hancock sponsors the employment of over 600 Boston teens at nearly 70 local non-profit organizations—the largest summer jobs program of its kind. Click here to learn more about the program and application process.
A leadership career at Manulife?
A Well-rounded Career Experience at Manulife and John Hancock
Designed to provide a versatile experience across different businesses and functions, the Leadership Development Program (LDP) creates a unique opportunity for success-driven high performers. The program is best suited for those who are interested in building a diverse career foundation in a culture of change at Manulife and John Hancock, where we are committed to helping people achieve their dreams and aspirations. Highly selective and carefully structured, LDP offers a series of real job opportunities throughout the organization, strengthening the key competencies and capabilities you need to be an effective leader, either as an individual contributor or people leader.??
The LDP Experience – What to Expect
Throughout the program you’ll solve business problems, gain exposure to senior leadership, and develop core competencies. This is achieved through the completion of required course curriculum and three to four diverse roles, each ideally lasting for 18-24 months. Your first placement will be completed in an area that is aligned with your previous experience in order to support your assimilation into the organization. Future placements will be based on your development needs and aspirations, as well as program requirements and the needs of the business. Identification of positions is primarily completed through your networking across the company, as well as via marketing by the program manager and Executive Steering Committee. Initial roles are completed in the geography where you are hired, either Canada or Boston, after which there may be the opportunity to complete international roles within North America, Asia or Europe. While not required, international roles are strongly encouraged. Upon meeting the skill and course requirements through the completion of three to four well-rounded roles, you will graduate from the program into a role that best aligns with your experience and career interests within the organization.??
Our company is undergoing rapid change to become more technology driven and customer focused.? The LDP experience offers exceptional opportunities for individuals who can help us drive the changes that are necessary to propel Manulife and John Hancock forward.?
Examples of the type of work participants engage in include:
- Consult with senior marketing executives during the launch of our new life insurance product, Vitality; an industry first
- Develop a speech analytics tool within our Advanced Analytics group
- Author a business case for, and ensure completion of, complex real estate offerings in Asia and North America
- Determine the likelihood that John Hancock Insurance customers will also become John Hancock Investments or Manulife Investments customers (propensity models)
- Engage in Robo-Advising projects within our direct to consumer and decision analytics groups
- Partake in new products launched within our new product/business incubator LOFT (Lab of Forward Thinking)
- Utilize skills abroad on global projects in the U.S., Canada, Europe and Asia
- Develop presentations that lead to a successful joint-venture agreement
LDP Support and Engagement
At Manulife we believe that employees must own their careers and are responsible for creating their individual success.? To ensure you are positioned to do this prosperously, the program offers a supportive and engaging environment. To that end, all participants in the Leadership Development Program are afforded the following:
- Development planning tailored to your individual needs and informed by assessments
- Mentorship; both an assigned peer and senior mentor
- Participation in the global LDP online community
- Attendance at quarterly networking events in your respective geography
- An annual ‘Leadership Development Program’ conference
Another key facet of the program is continuous learning and skill development. You will experience training via a combination of required structured, classroom sessions; on-the-job training; and optional on-demand learning opportunities. Some examples include:
- Leadership training
- Core skill requirements achieved in role
- Individual Development Plan & Roadmap used to track progress
- A variety of real time Learning on Demand tools
Is LDP the Right Program for You?
Successful participants of the program are interested in:
- Building a leadership career in a large financial services organization
- Collaboration and thriving in ambiguous environments
- Managing/coaching/mentoring others
- Working in a culture of innovation and evolution
- Taking on assignments that take you out of your comfort zone
- Working in different countries and/or cities
- Acting as a change agent and role modeling organization behaviors
Ready to apply?
- 3-5 years of work experience in any of the following areas: Digital Marketing, Advanced Analytics, Digital Technology, Financial Services, Product Management, Operations, Asset Management, Risk Management, Strategy or M&A experience is advantageous
- Experience in utilizing technology to transform the relationship with the customer and/or previous leadership experience managing projects or people is a plus
- Will complete an MBA by June 2018 with strong academic performance; concentration in Marketing, Analytics,?or Digital is beneficial
- Desire to make an impact in a global organization
- Strong ability to develop and foster relationships and network
- Tenacious and able to work in an ambiguous environment
Recruiting takes place in the fall. Manulife visits campuses across North America. Visit your university career website for all active postings.
Student Connect is our LinkedIn group. It’s a forum for students to collaborate and network, learn about Manulife and John Hancock, and get valuable tips for success at work.
Student Connect offers:
- Career-building tips for students and young professionals
- Updates on our student recruitment and development programs, including campus visits
- Insight into what's new at Manulife John Hancock
- Networking opportunities with students and employees